Students living in rural areas of the United States exhibit lower levels of educational attainment than their suburban counterparts. Innovative interventions are needed to close this educational achievement gap.
We investigated whether an online growth mindset intervention could be leveraged to promote academic outcomes.
We tested the mindset intervention in a sample of 222 10th-grade adolescent girls (M age = 15.2; 38% White, 25% Black, 29% Hispanic) from four rural, low-income high schools in the Southeastern United States.
We conducted a randomized controlled trial to test the efficacy of the growth mindset intervention, relative to a sexual health programme. We used random sampling and allocation procedures to assign girls to either the mindset intervention (n = 115) or an attention-matched control programme (n = 107). We assessed participants at pre-test, immediate post-test, and 4-month follow-up.
Relative to the control condition, students assigned to the mindset intervention reported stronger growth mindsets at immediate post-test and 4-month follow-up. Although the intervention did not have a total effect on academic attitudes or grades, it indirectly increased motivation to learn, learning efficacy and grades via the shifts in growth mindsets.
Results indicate that this intervention is a promising method to encourage growth mindsets in rural adolescent girls.
- 2002). Reducing the effects of stereotype threat on African American college students by shaping theories of intelligence. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 38(2), 113–125. https://doi.org/10.1006/jesp.2001.1491
- 1997). Self-efficacy the exercise of control. New York, NY: Maxmillan.
- 1993). When ego threats lead to self-regulation failure: Negative consequences of high self-esteem. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 64(1), 141–156. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.124
- 2013). The effects of gender and implicit theories on science achievement and interest in elementary-aged students (Unpublished master's thesis). Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, Kentucky.
- 2007). Implicit theories of intelligence predict achievement across an adolescent transition: A longitudinal study and an intervention. Child Development, 78(1), 246–263. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2007.00995.x
- 2015). The effectiveness of a malleable mindset intervention in an introductory psychology course (Unpublished master's thesis). Oregon State University, Corvallis.
- 2012). Buffering against weight gain following dieting setbacks: An implicit theory intervention. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 48(3), 721–725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2011.12.020
- 2013). Mindsets matter: A meta-analytic review of implicit theories and self-regulation. Psychological Bulletin, 139, 655–701. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0029531
- 2015). Rural–nonrural differences in college attendance patterns. Peabody Journal of Education, 90(2), 263–279. https://doi.org/10.1080/0161956X.2015.1022384
- 2004). Factors influencing college aspirations of rural West Virginia high school students. Journal of Research in Rural Education, 19(12), 1–14. https://doi.org/10.1177/089484530731125.2
- 2009). Ambient belonging: How stereotypical cues impact gender participation in computer science. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 97(6), 1045–1060. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0016239
- 2016). Growth mindset tempers the effects of poverty on academic achievement. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113(31), 8664–8668. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1608207113
- 2006). Attitudes and persuasion. Annual Review of Psychology, 57, 345–374. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.57.102904.190034
- 2012). The impact of an online intervention (Brainology) on the mindset and resiliency of secondary school pupils: A preliminary mixed methods study. Educational Psychology, 32(5), 641–655. https://doi.org/10.1080/01443410.2012.675646
- 2000). Self-theories: Their role in motivation, personality, and development. Philadelphia, PA: Taylor and Francis Group Psychology Press.
- 2008). Mindset: The new psychology of success. New York, NY: Random House Digital, Inc.
- 2015). Growth. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 85(2), 242–245. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjep.12072
- 2005). Studying the development of learning and task motivation. Learning and Instruction, 15(2), 161–171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2005.04.012
- 2010). Does math self-efficacy mediate the effect of the perceived classroom environment on standardized math test performance? Journal of Educational Psychology, 102(3), 729–740. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018863
- 2011). What mediation analysis can (not) do. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47(6), 1231–1236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2011.05.007
- 2003). Improving adolescents’ standardized test performance: An intervention to reduce the effects of stereotype threat. Applied Developmental Psychology, 24(6), 645–662. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2003.09.002
- 2012). Why do women opt out? Sense of belonging and women's representation in mathematics. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 102(4), 700. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0026659
- 2009). Beyond Baron and Kenny: Statistical mediation analysis in the new millennium. Communication Monographs, 76(4), 408–420. https://doi.org/10.1080/03637750903310360
- 1999). The rural school problem in 1999: A review and critique of the literature. Journal of Research in Rural Education, 15(2), 67–79.
- 2007). Contamination in trials of educational interventions. Health Technology Assessment, 11(43), 1–127.
- 1997). Students at risk in poor, rural areas: A review of the research. Journal of Research in Rural Education, 13, 79–100.
- 2015). Implicit theories about intelligence and growth (personal best) goals: Exploring reciprocal relationships. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 85(2), 207–223. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjep.12038
- 2017). Behavioral processes in long-lag intervention studies. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 12(3), 454–467. https://doi.org/10.1177/1745691616681645
- 2010). A culture of genius: How an organization's lay theory shapes people's cognition, affect, and behavior. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 36(3), 283–296. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167209347380
- 2015). Mind-set interventions are a scalable treatment for academic under-achievement. Psychological Science, 26, 784–793. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797615571017
- 2013). HLM 7.01 for Windows [Computer software]. Skokie, IL: Scientific Software International.
- 2011). Mediation analysis in social psychology: Current practices and new recommendations. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 5(6), 359–371. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-9004.2011.00355.x
- 2016, August). Increasing interest in computer science: A mindset intervention. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Denver, CO.
- 2017). Variables associated with achievement in higher education: A systematic review of meta-analyses. Psychological Bulletin, 143(6), 565–600. https://doi.org/10.1037/bul0000098
- 1995). Social capital, place of residence, and college attendance. Rural Sociology, 60(3), 363–380. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1549-0831.1995.tb00578.x
- 1999). Implicit theories versus the social construal of ability in self-regulation and performance on a complex task. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 78(2), 104–127. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1999.2829
- 2011). RMediation: An R package for mediation analysis confidence intervals. Behavior Research Methods, 43(3), 692–700. https://doi.org/10.3758/s13428-011-0076-x
- 2007). A question of belonging: Race, social fit, and achievement. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 92(1), 82–96. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199
- 2011). Active albuterol or placebo, sham acupuncture, or no intervention in asthma. New England Journal of Medicine, 365, 119–126. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1103319
- 2016). Development of a web-based HIV/STD prevention program for adolescent girls emphasizing sexual communication skills. AIDS Education and Prevention, 28(5), 365–377. https://doi.org/10.1521/aeap.2016.28.5.365
- 2017). Feasibility and acceptability of a web-based HIV/STD prevention program for adolescent girls targeting sexual communication skills. Health Education Research, 32, 343–352.
- 2016). Using design thinking to improve psychological interventions: The case of the growth mindset during the transition to high school. Journal of Educational Psychology, 108(3), 374–391. https://doi.org/10.1037/edu0000098
- 2016). Teaching a lay theory before college narrows achievement gaps at scale. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113(24), E3341–E3348. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1524360113
- 2010). Reconsidering Baron and Kenny: Myths and truths about mediation analysis. Journal of Consumer Research, 37(2), 197–206. https://doi.org/10.1086/651257
- 2000). Self-efficacy: An essential motive to learn. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 25(1), 82–91. https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1999.1016